Do you want more out of 2013 than you got out of 2012? More money, more free time, more respect, more friends, more whatever? If you are like over 90% of the population there is something you said you would achieve in 2012 that you fell short on why do you think only 10% did not fall short? It is because they have desire, commitment and follow the 6 simple steps we outline in this column.
This time of year we are flooded with people asking us How can I make 2013 a better year than 2012, or how can I make it my best year ever? Why does this flood come towards the end and the beginning of each year frankly because so many people realize either they are frustrated ending another year short of where they wanted, they are concerned as what the coming year may look like, or they are fed up with mediocrity from their teams or themselves. At the risk of doing what we like to call unpaid consulting we will outline 6 simple steps you can learn, implement, and follow (if your desire and commitment level is high enough) to get more out of 2013.
- Step one set some GOALS this may sound easy however they must be written down and detailed. People with written goals are 10 times more likely to obtain them. Your GOALS should encompass both professional and personal things some I see frequently more money, less work, better relationships, losing weight, etc. To ensure these set you up for success they should be SMART Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, and Time Bound.
- Step two STUDY to grow you need to study. Based on your goals from step one find ways to STUDY what you want. If you want to sell more then STUDY sales, if you want to have better relationships then STUDY relationships. How can you have growth in any area if you do not STUDY what getting better at it means?
- Step three INVEST in yourself look at step one again and find areas you can INVEST in yourself to grow. If you want to become a better manager find a workshop, book, or seminar to INVEST in do not wait for someone else (i.e. your employer) to make the INVESTMENT do it yourself. True professionals in invest in themselves and their own growth not just the money but also the time.
- Step four PRACTICE this one often sounds odd to people, however can frequently be the most important. The single biggest difference between an amateur and a professional is practice. If you want to grow in your communications ability find ways to practice. Whatever it is you want to improve (professional or personal) you can practice it.
- Step five learn and follow a SYSTEM every respected professional follows proven a SYSTEM, or more than one of them. Look at your goals in step one and find ways to learn a SYSTEM that will help you grow in that area whether it is sales, management, leadership, or being a parent following a proven SYSTEM will help you grow.
- Step six ACCOUNTABILITY find someone to be your ACCOUNTABILITY partner. Tell them what your goals are, what you are doing in steps two-five and have them hold you ACCOUNTABLE to it. One of the best ways to accomplish new things is have someone hold you ACCOUNTABLE to what you are working towards.
Over 90% of you reading this can get more out of 2013 by learning, implementing, and following these 6 steps. They can ensure 2013 will be your best year ever professionally and personally. You may be asking about the other 10% - they already work with firms like ours to help them with these 6 steps they bring the desire and the commitment we are able to help with the rest. Here is to getting more out of 2013 and to making it your best year ever!